Friday, October 17, 2008

Nesting Dolls and Paper Cuts



I've always had a fascination with Russian nesting dolls (matryoshka). I think it started with a segment on Sesame Street, during which a set of nesting dolls kind of scooted around and opened to reveal smaller and smaller versions of themselves. By the way, I just tried to find that video online, and ended up clicking on what I believed to be it, only to find myself on an adult video site - decidedly NOT it!


Ok, I just found it (for real), but it's the Dutch version. So if you want to learn to count to ten in another language, please check it out.


I also came across "The Ladybug Picnic" - you will remember this well if you grew up in the 70s. It's actually a pretty funny song when you listen to the words. Much better than Elmo! I highly recommend spending some time on YouTube and checking out the classic Sesame Street videos. I remember them so vividly now that I've watched them again.


Sesame Street is not what I originally intended to write about, but it's kind of fun, no? I actually brought up nesting dolls because I'm hoping to use them as inspiration for a pattern (I'm not sure for what yet). I just love European folk art, especially Polish paper art (wycinanki - pronounced vee-chee-non-kee is the Polish word for "paper-cut design"). The colors and patterns are stunning - I would love to make a quilt with some design elements like this. Applique, perhaps?


1 comment:

jobones said...

remember when we were younger and you had that veecheeochie paper cut-out polish wall hanging from the Polish Picnic? Ahhh the Polish Picnic, how I long to pay money to pick little wrapped up pieces of paper from a box to hopefully reveal a prize. Perhaps I would win another G.B. Plandora.