Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Big-girl Quilt

OK, I put that first entry up as a test to see what the blog looks like, and then I didn’t have time to go back an put in a real entry. So here goes…

I said I’ve done a lot more on what I said was my current project. It’s Caroline’s “big-girl bed” quilt. She doesn’t have her big-girl bed yet; we’re thinking we’ll get it for her around when she turns 3 in November. So the fact that it’s all done except for hemming the binding is truly amazing! I’m usually trying to finish things up after the fact. I never get projects done ahead of time.

Here’s a photo of the quilt (almost) done. Some history: the appliqué blocks were originally part of the bumpers I made for her crib, but we ended up barely using them because they didn’t stay up very well and she just got tangled in them. I couldn’t bear to just throw them away, so I cut them up and worked this quilt around them. Almost all of the fabrics in the quilt are from baby quilts I’ve made for friends and family over the years, and the wall quilt I made for Caroline (which has yet to be hung up!). The border and appliqué background fabrics are also on the window valance in her room.

Last weekend I got tons of sewing done! (I don’t have a lot of time with a 2-yr-old running around.) My goal was to get all the machine work done on Caroline’s quilt so I could have the hand hemming to do at Craft Night on the 18th. I did it!! I also got everything cut out for my next project—my first handbag. It’s black and red and the pattern (“Bella Bag” from Indygo Junction) looks very cute.


And a couple of weeks ago I finished these cute snowman door hangers to have as Christmas gifts. (One has already been claimed by Caroline, who loves snowmen.)

No comments: