Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wedding Crafts-a-go-go

If you think about it, weddings are a crafter's dream! There's so much stuff that you can make yourself, with very little time and money. For example, my wedding is two weeks from tomorrow and I've made quite a few of the accessories myself. Check out this ring-bearer pillow. I made this for less than $3 (the rings are sterling silver hoop earrings just for show - the ring bearer is 18 months old and likes to throw things when he gets bored with them). You can't buy one for less than $15, and that's if you don't care if it falls apart on its way down the aisle. And speaking of things to carry down the aisle, I also decided that "wedding floral packages starting at $499" weren't going to cut it for me. How insane is that? My dress, shoes and wedding ring didn't even cost that much together!
So, I headed on down to Michael's and picked out some silk flowers in colors I liked and voila - for $53 I made bouquets for me and my maid of honor, as well as corsages for the moms, and boutonnieres for the guys. I am just absolutely astounded at what people pay for wedding stuff. Because you know that the same items for non-wedding events are usually half the cost. That's just wrong, especially when you can DIY! We're also taking advantage of all the talent we have in our collective families. My future father-in-law is an amateur photographer and takes lovely photos, so he's doing our pictures. My brother is a musician, so he was the natural choice for the wedding music. Total cost for these services? $0 We are going to hire a flute player to accompany Jay, but I believe that's the only thing we have to pay for aside from the church fee. Cool, eh?
And what would any good crafting session be without a trusty feline to hang out with? This is my cat Max, who loves to watch me sew and craft. His other interests include eating silk flowers, tormenting his sister Sealy and watching the stock market.

No comments: